11.24.2008

Thanksgiving thoughts

Due to the Thanksgiving season I have been thinking a lot lately about things I am grateful for. Of course I initially came up with the usual things right off the bat, but when I took some time to really think about everything I have been blessed with, I was overwhelmed. Every year during this time I vow that I will forever be thankful for what I have, but once winter is in full swing it’s hard to be grateful for the cold. :) I just thought I’d take a minute to share a few things that I am extremely grateful for, regardless of if they are the standard blessings we recognize in our lives.

I am so grateful for flowers. Daisies are definitely my favorite flower, and seeing them instantly makes me smile. All flowers are beautiful, however, and seem to brighten this bleak world.


The colorful leaves are another part of nature I have fallen in loved with. I often find myself wandering through campus looking up rather than forward, amazed at the beauty of the trees. I love the crunching noise they make when they get stepped on, and they way they randomly fall from their branches. If I could pick my favorite season – one to have all year long – it would definitely be autumn. It’s simply gorgeous.


Another blessing I’m grateful for is the opportunity to receive an education. As a college student I often find myself slacking a bit in school, not realizing how lucky I am to be attending BYU. It is only recently that I have discovered my love for learning, and I’m glad I am able to attend such a prestigious school. Regardless of their football record, I’m still a Cougar through and through. :)


Music is another blessing we all have that often goes unnoticed. I did not realize how often I listen to music, and how quickly it can change one’s mood. It allows us to relax and contemplate, or dance and laugh. What a wonderful thing to have in our lives, eh? Mmm…I love it.



I am thankful for the country in which we live. I am only beginning to recognize the never-ending opportunities America provides for its citizens, and I feel a responsibility and an excitement to make a difference. Although I still feel a little unsettled about the upcoming Presidency, I will put my full support in Barack Obama’s hands and pray that we can all stick together. It worries me a bit with how divided our country has become, and I hope we will be able to remember our heritage and unite as a people again. I love our country and I feel so blessed to have the freedom we are all granted. God bless America.



Another thing I LOVE and am grateful for is the delicious combination of Oreos, peanut butter and milk. My roommates can testify that it’s my favorite snack and they think I’m crazy for eating it, but it truly is the best. Try it out. :)



Well this list could go on and on with the little things I am grateful for, but I’ll wrap it up by talking about my Savior. I am so thankful for all He did for me. I was extremely fortunate to visit the places He has lived and walked, and my love for Him grew more than I could have imagined. What a blessing it is for us to have that knowledge and testimony of Christ. May we all remember what is truly important this season…and after this season. We have all been given so much we often take for granted, so I’m going to do my best to remember all I have. Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Kat said...

I really enjoyed that tara! thanks for sharing! I've really missed you girls lately...

Unknown said...

you missed something. actually two things. myself and john crespo. we just read through your blog and i'm not gonna lie, i'm kind of shocked i'm no where to be found. wtf tare bear. jerusalem? egypt? galilee?
ps i miss you
pps i'm adding you to my blog

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that Tara! I really enjoyed that! good luck with your finals this next week!